Saturday, March 10, 2018

Week 9

When I think of the word management, I don't automatically think of it as leadership. That's very much what it is though. Being a leader is not the equivalent of being the boss. A boss gives orders but a leader pulls with you. President Clark gave a great reminder of leadership by turning to the Savior. A good leader leads by example, with vision, and with love. When I reflect on some of my past managers I can recognize some of these qualities in those managers who I liked. People like working with and for someone who is willing to help them and who has a vision. One of my least favorite employers got on my nerves mainly because he seemed to not have a vision and did not seem to be leading much. It was frustrating and the business suffered because of it. I think it's really important remember that as an entrepreneur, you're very much a leader and you don't just need something like vision to start things. You need it to help motivate others as well.

Some of the videos this week talked about the type of people you should hire/work with. Not everyone can be a leader, but everyone including leaders needs to be a "nice" person. Someone who genuinely tries their best and treats others with respect and the way they want to be treated. I do think they are probably some of the best workers and, as a leader, respect goes a long ways. If you respect your leader, you put more effort into your work. Leadership principles can be applied in many aspects of our lives and I'm looking forward to learning more about how to be a better leader.

No comments:

Post a Comment